Color has a tremendous impact on the overall feel of your home, and should also complement the style of home you’re creating. The colors in our homes affects our emotions, and can really be the deciding factor for the mood and overall feel for our home.
So let’s go through some top tips on color that will help you to achieve the result you want, and the overall feel that you’d like in your home.
Tip 1. Ensure that the colors chosen reflect the style of your home.
- For example, if your preference is to have neutral and classic decor, then colors such as beige, cotton, or stone will suit best. These colors go with both neutral and bold decor.
- If you like more natured themes, then lavender or soft greens will do well. For more fiery tastes, reds, golds and dusky rose will provide the warmth you’re looking for.
- The best way is to use a website or software that provides color simulations on walls to help you choose a color palette.
Tip 2. Use the 60:30:10 rule. Most of the time, you’ll probably have the same color walls throughout the home, but if you choose to have a feature wall or two, ensure that the feature wall is about 30% of the room. The remaining 10% is for a third, deeper color that can either be a feature wall or be from furniture. If the proportions are higher, your room can look disjointed.
Tip 3. With wall decor that’s subtle in color, choose light colored walls.
- Your wall decor should be a highlight, and not overpowered by the color behind it. This is why neutral colored walls such as beige and related colors are not only pleasing to most people, they compliment both light and richly colored wall decor.
- On the other hand, richly colored wall decor will be complimented by either a light or richly colored background. But there’s one condition here. With a rich background, such as a red painted wall or red patterned wallpaper, it will work well as long as there’s some matching between these.
Tip 4. Use your instinct, but also test it out. One of the most important parts of this process is to get some samples of the wall paint and wallpaper and see if they go well with your home.It’s fine to add bright and bold colors or patterns, but it definitely helps if you can see it on a showroom floor, or in someone’s house first.
Tip 5. Make sure the color scheme or pattern matches the style of your internal architectural features.
- Not only should you make sure you like a color, you should also see if it will match the style of architectural features such as the windows and arches, or structures in your home.
- So ensure that you’re seeing the whole picture, and use your instinct and personal taste.You now know the top 5 tips when it comes to using color in your home. These 5 tips will help you choose the right color and patterns for your home to match your personal taste as well as your wall and home decor. So enjoy playing with color, and seeing the combinations of color and patterns with your test samples, to decorate your home just the way you envisioned it.