1. Water your grass around the same time each morning. If you recently planted new seed, be sure to water it every day.
- The best time of the day to water your lawn is early in the morning. The water will be less likely to evaporate, and there are generally lower winds. Watering the grass in high wind can cause the grass to dry before the water penetrates the soil.
- For a green lawn, water your grass until the water penetrates at least 6 inches (15.24 cm) deep into the soil.
- Make watering the grass part of your lawn care during the summer. You may need to water the yard at additional times to prevent the grass from drying out.
- Grass needs to be watered about one inch per week. If you use sprinklers, you can place a can in your yard and see how much water filled the can after you water one hour. This will give you the hourly rate of using sprinklers to water your lawn.