A lot of rules that were use in decorating can make the style in our homes a little dry. The style right now is a little eclectic. Mixing colors, styles, patterns, and whatever else we want right now IS what looks good. If you’ve been holding back because you heard these rules
when you were little, you can throw them out, and design with what you like and what defines you now.
1. Ceilings need to be white. Adding color to the ceiling can add color and interest to a room. You can pick a color a few shades lighter or darker than your walls, depending on the effect you’re going for. A new trend that is starting is wallpapering the ceiling.
2. Small spaces can’t take dark or bold colors. This isn’t always true. Sometimes in a small room you can add a dark color or a bright color, and it packs a punch because the room is small. It makes a statement without having to paint a big room such a bold color.
3. Don’t mix patterns. Maybe a few years ago, but right now the style is all about mixing patterns. BUT you want to mix coordinating patterns. A cute wall paper, with a floral chair! If it coordinated or contrasted it would look really great.
4. Bedrooms need to have soft and soothing colors. It’s time to add a little color, and spice to your bedroom. At night the lights are off, and the bright colors won’t keep you up. It’s a fun space to be more creative and bold, and it’s not on display for everyone that comes into your house to see.
5. You need the entire matching set. You can mix and match the seating at your table. Adding accent chairs, and changing up the plain style of a matching set makes your set so much more fun and interesting.
6. Curtains are just for windows. Some of my favorite uses have been for other places too. Hanging curtains by the jetted Jacuzzi make your bath time feel so much more luxurious. You can use them to separate spaces, or frame a large picture with them as you would a window.
7. Only use one type of wood. With all the styles of painted wood, homes that have been remodeled, and all the DIY projects we’ve done, it would be crazy to stick to one type of wood.
There are a lot of rules out there that people still use, but the way our houses are decorated now need to fit who we are, and there’s so much more to us than matching, soft tones. 🙂