1. Identify the Fabric. Couches come in lots of shapes and materials, with some even having removable and washable cushions. If you are lucky enough to have a cotton-blend or linen couch, you can easily clean it with natural ingredients. Before getting started, give your couch a good once-over to figure out what it’s made from. Most have a tag that identifies it as:
- W: OK to use water for cleaning.
- S: Only use a solvent-based cleaner on fabric.
- SW: Either water or a solvent cleaner is safe to use.
- X: Only use a vacuum for cleaning.
2. Prep Your Couch. Get your couch ready for grooming by using a clean and dry white hand towel or washcloth to brush the entire piece of furniture, breaking up any dried-on spots and removing any bits that have made homes of nooks and crannies. You can also use a stiff brush for this step. Avoid using any colored towels or sponges, as the dye may alter the color of your couch.